Pulmonary function tests (PFTs) are group of non-invasive tests to objectively measure how well the lungs are working. The tests measure lung volumes, rates of flow and gas exchange. Most common tests include spirometry, diffusion capacity, body plethysmography. Sometimes only one test is performed, other times all the tests may be completed.
The tests will allow to :
- Compare the lung function of the person to the predicted values, developed show how well the lungs should be working in a healthy person,
- Cssist in making a diagnosis of various chronic conditions of respiratory system,
- Identify changes in lung function that require treatment or intervention
- Decide which medicine would be helpful to alleviate the symptoms
- Determine your ability to tolerate surgical procedure or treatment
- Evaluate effectivebness of the current treatment
To get the most accurate results from the breathing tests the patient should follow the instructions provided by healthcare provider.